Fwd: International Conference EOS700 at Salamanca

J L Brockington J.L.Brockington at ED.AC.UK
Thu Mar 17 09:34:11 UTC 2011

Dear Colleagues,

I have been asked to circulate the message below and am pleased to
forward it to the list. Please contact the organisers direct, if you
are interested.

Yours

John Brockington

Professor J. L. Brockington
Secretary General, International Association of Sanskrit Studies
Asian Studies
7-8 Buccleuch Place
Edinburgh EH8 9LW

----- Forwarded message from anaagud at usal.es -----
     Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 10:17:40 +0100
     From: anaagud at usal.es
  Subject: International Conference EOS700 at Salamanca
       To: "J.L.Brockington at ed.ac.uk" <J.L.Brockington at ed.ac.uk>

Dear Sir!

In the University of Salamanca we have decided to commemorate with an
International Conference the official beginning of Oriental Studies in
Europe, which is the "Canon" of Pope Clemens at the Vienne Concile 1311
(exactly 7 centuries ago) urging the Universities of Salamanca, Bologna,
Paris and Oxford to teach oriental languages, concretely Hebrew, Arabic
and "Chaldaean".

Our main aim is to put in contact Spanish Oriental Studies with the
European ones. We have had a long tradition of Semitic Studies, but other
oriental cultures and languages have only a brief and difficult tradition,
because of the rigidity of our University system. Notwithstanding there
have developed several research teams, mainly about India, Iran, China,
Japan and Philippines. Wee would like to present theses studies and to
discuss with our colleagues of other countries the actual developments and
the role of Oriental Studies in modern societies.

I attach You our "call for papers" and I beg You to include it in Your
Home Page and to broadcast it among the members of IASS.

Thank You in advance.

Sincerely Your's

Ana Agud
Prof. for Indoeuropean Studies
University of Salamanca, Spain

----- End forwarded message -----

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.