No incoming Sanskrit students at Andhra University :-(

George Thompson gthomgt at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 29 18:55:04 UTC 2011

Dear Dipak,

As far as Latin and Greek are concerned, things are bad in the US and in
Europe as well.  Many small Classics departments are being absorbed into
larger Foreign Language departments, or else they are being completely
eliminated.  There is a "university" in my home state of New Hampshire whose
foreign language offerings consist of a couple of classes of Spanish and
French!   Some student activists have tried to organize  and advocate for a
full range of language offerings, including Sanskrit [they contacted me and
asked me to write a letter of suppport, which I did].

When I was a boy in the 60's, I attended a Latin school, where I took six
years of Latin and four of German.  This school offered courses on Classical
Greek as well, but in those days the US was in a race to the moon against
the USSR, so we were discouraged from taking Greek.  They forced the hard
sciences on us instead.

I studied Greek and Sanskrit and Avestan, etc., in college, got involved in
Indo-European Studies, but of course my main passion is, and has always
been, Vedic, especially the Rigveda.

But even at the University of California at Berekeley, where I studied all
of these languages, things have deteriorated.  I expect that the Sankrit
program there is much smaller now.  Maybe one of our friends from Berkeley
can be more specific than I can be.

I hope this helps.

Best,

George Thompson