query

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 28 08:05:26 UTC 2011

My book _The Roots of Ayurveda_ contains a translation of the first two
chapters from the kalpasthana of the Susrutasamhita that deal with with
attempts at poisoning a king and with poisons of vegetable origin.  In the
introduction, I discuss the history of poisoning in India, the Venomous
Virgin, and the spread in the medieval ME and Europe of Indian poison texts
such as the pseudo-Canakya "Kitab al-Sumum," and the Venomous Virgin motif
especially through through the Arabic Kitab Sir al-Asrar, the Latin Secretum
Secretorum, and the popular Gesta Romanorum.

Best,
Dominik

Dr Dominik Wujastyk
Institut für Südasien-, Tibet- und Buddhismuskunde
Universität Wien
Spitalgasse 2-4, Hof 2, Eingang 2.1
A-1090 Vienna
Austria