dvi.sa.m dvi.sam

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 24 07:37:52 UTC 2011

Many thanks to George Cardona and Gary Tubb for their learned corrections
and clarifications on the "dviṣam dviṣam" issue.

Dominik

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <cardonagj at verizon.net>
Date: 23 June 2011 12:05
Subject: dvi.sa.m dvi.sam
To: wujastyk at gmail.com

 Dear Dominik, When you suggest taking dviṣaṁ dviṣam as an iterated gerund
with -am, I suppose you mean the type accounted for by Pāṇini's *ābhīkṣṇye
ṇamul ca* (3.4.22).  However, this would then be *dveṣaṁ dveṣam*, like *bhojaṁ
bhojam*.  I suggest that the phrase in your text has iteration as accounted
for by *nityavīpsayoḥ* and means 'every single one who hates them'.
 Regards, George