religious embryology in India

Amy Langenberg alangenberg at MSN.COM
Fri Jan 28 19:04:58 UTC 2011

Dear Andrey,
Here are some more possible sources:

Bizot, Francois. “'La grotte de la
naissance', Recherches sur le bouddhisme khmer II.” BEFEO 57 (1980): 222-73.

Kritzer, Robert. “Childbirth and the Mother's Body in the
Abhidharmakośabhāṣya and Related Texts.” Indo tetsugaku bukkyō shisō ron shū:
Mikogami Eshōkyōju shōju kinen ronshū (2004): 1085-1109.

———. “Life in the Womb: Conception and Gestation in
Buddhist Scripture and Classical Indian Medical Literature.” In Imagining
the Fetus : the Unborn in Myth, Religion, and Culture, edited by Vanessa Sasson and Jane
Marie Law, 73-90. New York: Oxford Unversity Press, 2009.

———. “The Four Ways of Entering the Womb (garbhāvakrānti).”
Bukkyō Bunka 10
(2000): 1-41.

Langenberg, Amy Paris. “Like Worms Falling From a
Foul-Smelling Sore: The Buddhist Rhetoric of Childbirth in an Early Mahāyāna Sūtra.”
New York: Columbia University, 2008.

Smith, Frederick. “Narrativity and Empiricism in Classical
Indian Accounts of Birth and Death: The Mah̐ābh̐ārata and the Samhit̐as of
Caraka and Sūśruta.” Asian Medicine 3, no. 1 (June 1, 2007): 85-102.
Also, the "Garbhāvakrāntyavadāna" in:Kṣemendra. Bodhi Sattvāvadāna Kalpalatā : A Buddhist Sanskrit work on the Exploits and glories of Buddha, with its Tibetan version. Edited by Sarat Chandra Das and Pandit Hari Mohan Vidyabhushana. Calcutta, 1888.
all best wishes,
Amy Paris LangenbergDepartment of Philosophy and ReligionAuburn University