Adhy ātma Rāmāya a

Jason Neelis jneelis at WLU.CA
Tue Feb 15 23:07:07 UTC 2011

A search of Google Books leads to a reference to a translation of the
Matsya Puraan.a into Persian by "the braahman.a Gosain Anandghan of
Delhi, resident of Benares" in Heinrich von Stietencron, et al. Epic and
Puraan.ic Bibliography (up to 1985)... Harrasowitz, Wiesbaden: 1992, pp.
87-88, entry no. 480 (A. Bausani, "Notizia di una tradizione persiana
inedita del Matsyapuraan.a della fine del secolo 18," RSO 31 [1956],
169-177):
http://books.google.ca/books?id=kgpLBpUCufwC&lpg=PA87&ots=oFK7KZGb2r&dq=anandghan%20banaras&pg=PA87#v=onepage&q&f=false

Jason Neelis
Religion and Culture
Wilfrid Laurier University

>>> Robert Goldman <rpg at CALMAIL.BERKELEY.EDU> 15/02/2011 5:48 pm >>>
Dear Dr. D'Onofrio,

Thank you for this reference. This would indeed very likely be the
author in question. I should perhaps have noted that in his preface to

the translation he describes himself as having come from "Dehly" but
has having spent much time in Vāvan.

Dr. R. P.  Goldman
Professor of Sanskrit
Department of South and Southeast Asian Studies
MC # 2540
The University of California at Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-2540
Tel: 510-642-4089
Fax: 510-642-2409

On Feb 15, 2011, at 2:09 PM, Svevo D'Onofrio wrote:

> Dear colleague,
>
> Anandaghan "Khwush" was  a poet who hailed from "among the
> intellectuals of Brindaban" (quoted by Rajeev Kinra, Infantilizing
> Baba Dara, "Journal of Persianate Studies" 2 (2009), p. 174).
> He was the author of several Persian works, many of which are
> mentioned in Hermann Ethé's Catalogue of Persian Manuscripts in the

> Library of the India Office, London 1903-37 (nos. 1725, 1959, 1962,

> 2905, 2906, 2926). These (possibly) include Persian translations of

> the Gayamahatmya, Bhagavadgita, Kashikhanda and Ramayana.
>
> Best,
>
> Svevo D'Onofrio
>
> PhD, Research Fellow
> Ruhr-Universität Bochum
> Käte Hamburger Kolleg
> "Dynamics in the History of Religions between Asia and Europe"
> SH 1/176
> Universitätsstraße 150
> 44801 Bochum (Germany)
> Tel. +49 234 32-22955
>

>> Il giorno 15/feb/2011, alle ore 21.36, Robert Goldman ha scritto:
>>
>>> Dear Colleagues, (I hope that this comes through better than y
>>> past posting.)
>>>
>>> A local gentleman, a California winemaker by profession, visited
>>> me today to ask me about a book in his possession that had
>>> belonged to his late grandfather.  Upon inspection I found it to
>>> be a two volume set consisting of a handwritten English
>>> translation of the Adhyātma Rāmāyaa with an introduction by
>>> one Anand Ghan who describes himself  as "A Member of the College

>>> of Brahmins at Benares" and who claims that he translated the text

>>> from "Sanscrit into Persian" and "Again translated from the
>>> Persian into English".  It is dated 1804 and appears to have been

>>> purchased in India, perhaps by the grandfather for Rs. 8.
>>>
>>> The book is in quite good condition. The handwriting is quite
>>> clear and the English excellent.
>>>
>>> The owner was reluctant to leave the book with me but  I was able

>>> to take  two images from it that I snapped with my mobile phone.
>>> One is of the title page of the first volume and one is from a
>>> randomly opened page to show what the text itself looks like.
>>>
>>> I would be interested to know if any of you know anything about
>>> Pt. Ghan or the history of his double translation.
>>> Dr. R. P.  Goldman
>>> Professor of Sanskrit
>>> Department of South and Southeast Asian Studies
>>> MC # 2540
>>> The University of California at Berkeley
>>> Berkeley, CA 94720-2540
>>> Tel: 510-642-4089
>>> Fax: 510-642-2409
>>>

>>> <Adhyatma Ramayana.jpg><Adhyatma 2.jpg>

--- Scanned by M+ Guardian Messaging Firewall ---