raajaku.tii

Arlo Griffiths arlogriffiths at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 13 07:32:55 UTC 2011

Thanks to George Cardona, Artur Karp, John William Nemec, Asko Parpola, Judit Törzsök and Vincent Eltschinger for their responses.
I should have made it clear that it was not so much the element ku.tii which bothered me, as I tacitly assumed there to be a connection with the Buddhist gandhaku.tii 'Perfume Chamber' (the chamber for the principal Buddha resident in a monastery) --- at least the monumental context of the Sumatran ku.ti haji is certainly Buddhist.
Vincent Eltschinger's reference to Schopen's article "The Buddha as an Owner of Property ..." has now provided me with an extensive collection of epigraphical and other textual references to the gandhaku.tii, and some of these allow me to formulate a working hypothesis concerning the 'royal chamber'. From these three sealings cited by Schopen (p. 269 and 284 of the reprint),
- "sriinaalandaayaa.m "sriibaalaadityagandhaku.diivaarikabhik.suu.naa.m,- "sriinaa[landaayaa.m "srii?]dharmapaaladevagandhaku.tiivaarikabhik.suu.naa.m,- "sriidevapaalagandhaku.tyaa.m,
I infer that gandhaku.tiis were among those parts of vihaaras that could become the object of personal donations/foundations by kings (in these cases Baalaaditya and Devapaaladeva). And on this basis one might hypothesize that raajaku.tii = ku.ti haji may have meant raajagandhaku.tii. At least for ku.ti haji in the North Sumatran inscription I see no immediate objections to this hypothesis, and it is at least a funny coincidence that two of these sealings mention Devapaaladeva, about whose diplomatic associations with Mahaaraaja Baalaputradeva of Suvar.nadviipa (which probably corresponded to Southern Sumatra) we know from one of his copper-plates. The idea that raajaku.tii had a specifically Buddhist connotation may not work well in the context of the Khmer inscriptions, which seem rather to deal with brahmanical foundations. I'll have to keep pondering the problem.
By the way, in the light of some of Schopen's other articles in the same volume of Collected Papers, esp. the one on Burial as sanctos, all of this reminds me of the thread opened by Petra Kieffer-Pülz last year, about the word ku.tikaa (in a Pali text) in the context of the deposition of bones and ashes.

Thanks again.

Arlo Griffiths (EFEO/Jakarta)