Pandit Hemendra Nath Chakravarty passed away

John William Nemec jwn3y at CMS.MAIL.VIRGINIA.EDU
Sat Apr 30 19:28:18 UTC 2011

Dear Mrinal,

Thank you for sharing this sad news.  I last saw Panditji in 2008, on his 90th birthday.  He was a good soul, and I learned a lot from him studying "Saiva tantric texts for half a year in 2002-2003.  He will be missed.

John Nemec

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 13:00:13 -0400
 Mrinal Kaul <mrinalkaul81 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>Obituary : Pandit Hemendra Nath Chakravarty (Varanasi)
>
>It is with a heavy heart that I am announcing the death of Pandit Hemendra Nath Chakravarty (Varanasi), a pandit par excellence and a wonderful human being. He was a student of Gopinath Kaviraj and learnt many Śaiva texts with him besides the Nyāyaśāstra. He taught many Indologists and helped many of us learning the texts of Abhinavagupta. He worked for long term projects with Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (Varanasi) and contributed immensely in the series of the Kalātattvakoṣa. He kept on teaching many of his students till his last breath. His annotated English translation of the Tantrasāra of Abhinavagupta is still awaited.
>
>May his soul rest in peace.
>
>Mrinal Kaul
>

>************************
>Mrinal Kaul
>"Ro'ni Ph'ol"
># 37/4 - Pandoka Colony
>Paloura, Jammu (Kashmir) - 181121
>Jammu & Kashmir State, India
>*************************
>Tel: +91-191-253-2549
>e-mail: mrinal.kaul at stx.oxon.org

John Nemec, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Indian Religions and South Asian Studies
Dept. of Religious Studies
University of Virginia
323 Gibson Hall / 1540 Jefferson Park Avenue
Charlottesville, VA 22903 (USA)
nemec at virginia.edu
+1-434-924-6716