Persian and Arabic borrowings in Sanskrit

Svevo D'Onofrio donovevs at LIBERO.IT
Tue Apr 12 11:10:25 UTC 2011

Dear colleague,

one the earliest instances (11th century) of a Sanskrit text incorporating several Perso-Arabic loanwords in a Sanskritized form is the Buddhist Kālacakra Tantra.
John Newman's article Islam in the Kālacakra Tantra, "Journal of the International Association of Buddhist Studies", vol. 21, no. 2, 1998: 311-371 gives several examples and even has a list (p. 333) of such words.

Best,
Svevo D'Onofrio

PhD, Research Fellow
Department of Linguistic and Oriental Studies
University of Bologna
Via Zamboni, 33 - 40126 Italy