Persian and Arabic borrowings in Sanskrit

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya200498 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Apr 7 04:45:47 UTC 2011

7 4 11

If the following books with Sanskritised Arabic/Persian
terms have already been mentioned, this note may be ignored.

Ukrā, Hayata, Yantrarājaviṃśādhyāyī

All these were published by the Sampurnanand Sanskrit University. The first
two were edited by Vibhhutibhushan Bhattachacharya

Best

DB

--- On Wed, 6/4/11, Martin Gansten <martin.gansten at PBHOME.SE> wrote:

From: Martin Gansten <martin.gansten at PBHOME.SE>
Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] Persian and Arabic borrowings in Sanskrit
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Date: Wednesday, 6 April, 2011, 6:03 PM

Many thanks to all who responded to my query so far. I have consulted Weber's work, and now find that I need to qualify my original question somewhat.

Weber (1887: 21) gives a list of Sanskritization of Persian phonemes in the Pārasīprakāśa (c. 1600). However, this list does not quite tally with the examples I have seen in Sanskrit astrological works dating (probably) from the 13th century or earlier. One obvious possible explanation is that pronunciation had changed over the intervening centuries.

My modified question, therefore, must be: what are the earliest documented examples (preferably lists) of Sanskritized Persian or Arabic words after, say, 1000 CE?

Vidvajjanadayāpātram,

Martin Gansten