Trade in Medieval Sanskrit Literature

mkapstei at UCHICAGO.EDU mkapstei at UCHICAGO.EDU
Mon Oct 25 13:14:29 UTC 2010

Dear Patrick,

There's lots scattered around Buddhist sources, very often
in Jaataka-s, Avadaana-s, and Mahaayaana suutras such as the
Ga.n.davyuuha, where traders figure prominently.

As I recall, Geiger's Culture of Ceylon in Mediaeval Times
has useful references to the Pali sources on this. I don't know of anything off hand that puts together the Buddhist
Sanskrit references to material culture very effectively
(does someone want to encourage a great project for
a dissertation?)

And of course the two great Tamil novels also have
much to say of merchants and trade.

best,
Matthew

Matthew T. Kapstein
Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies
The University of Chicago Divinity School
Directeur d'études
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Paris