eighteen

J L Brockington J.L.Brockington at ED.AC.UK
Tue Oct 19 15:28:44 UTC 2010

Dear Professor Bussanich,

So far as I remember, only tangentially.  Here is all that I wrote in
my articles:

Instances of nine squared, eighty-one, are not particularly frequent
and I have already given those that I have noticed.  However,
eighty-four seems to have been favoured in the heterodox movements.
According to Maskarin Gosāla, each individual transmigrates for
84,00,000 mahākalpas.  In Jainism, the lifespan of the first and
eleventh tīrthaṃkaras was eighty-four lakhs and that of the eighteenth
Jina Aranātha was 8400 years, while the interval between Neminātha and
Pārśvanātha is said to have been 84,000 years.  For Buddhism, there is
the fact that in the Mahāsudarsana Sutta the palace of king Sudarsana
had 84,000 pillars and chambers, his territory had 84,000 cities and
palaces, and he had 84,000 wives, chariots and so on; also,
traditionally Aśoka erected 84,000 stūpas.[63]
63.  For 84 as 21 x 4 see Gonda, The Vedic Morning Litany
(Prātaranuvāka), p. 117 n. 4.

Yours

John Brockington

Professor J. L. Brockington
Secretary General, International Association of Sanskrit Studies
Asian Studies
7-8 Buccleuch Place
Edinburgh EH8 9LW

----- Message from john.bussanich at gmail.com ---------