Siddham seal

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 12 09:22:43 UTC 2010

dear Colleagues,

A colleague, an art historian working on China, has asked me about a seal on
a Tang period document connected to the Taiping princess, daughter of the
legendary Wu Zetian. (The seal may have belonged to Taiping's second
husband, Wu Yanxiu, a nephew of Empress Wu and thus a cousin of Taiping) It
appears to me that the seal is in Siddham, and the last akṣara is ma, the
previous one having a long ī mātra. More than that I am (even more) unsure
of. I am wondering if one of the cyber-gurus can read this. Several Chinese
sources seem to suggest that it might refer to saṁyak-saṁbuddha, but looking
myself at the seal, I don't see how that can possibly be the case. I regret
I do not have a really good photo, but perhaps the attached will enable
someone experienced in such decipherment to help?

very best, jonathan

--
J. Silk
Instituut Kern / Universiteit Leiden