Ancient Script

Arlo Griffiths arlogriffiths at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 3 15:00:38 UTC 2010

The plate is taken from a paper by a British author of the 19th c. I do not have the original publication at hand, but I guess it is from the Laidlay 1886 or one of the two Low papers in the bibliography in the attached article. The plate comprises more than one inscription, at a quick glance all from Malaysia but not precisely from Penang. If I am not overlooking anything, it is all Sanskrit, and all related to Buddhism. The attached paper contain complete bibliography up to the mid 1980. Apologies for the poor quality. (Can anyone help me get a better pdf?)
Arlo GriffithsEFEO/Jakarta