AW: [INDOLOGY] aratni

Jean-Michel Delire jmdelire at ULB.AC.BE
Wed May 26 14:17:46 UTC 2010

Dear Patrick,

I don't think this botanical explanation by Pr. Michaels is appropriate. Georg Thibaut, who was the first to edit the Baudh.'Sulb., expressed the view that the very peculiar value of 34 tila for an a'ngula is related to the existence of an approximate value to the square root of 2 (Baudh 'Sulb. I.61) which uses the 34th part of an a'ngula (JASB, vol.44, 1875, p.227). In a recent article (Centaurus, vol.47, 2005, p.60), I also showed that the value of 14 a.nu for an a'ngula is related to the unattested approximate value of 7 + 1/14 to the diagonal of a square of side 5 and to the attested common and gross procedure for transforming a circle into a square (Baudh.'Sulb.I.60 for instance).

Best regards,

Jean Michel Delire