wget (was: Re: Abhandlungen der K önigliche n Ak ademie der Wissensch aften zu Berli)

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 19 10:49:35 UTC 2010

I was recently trying to help a colleague with the bash script below for
fetching entire books from the Digital Library of India.  He had Windows, so
we installed CygWin, in order to get bash and wget.  However, the script
wouldn't work.

I finally discovered that the essential syntax I'm using below, "for i in
{X..Y..Z}", works with bash version 4, but not earlier.  And CygWin's bash
is still at version 3 (so in MinGW's).

When I type "bash --version", I get this:

$ bash --version
> GNU bash, version 4.1.5(1)-release (i486-pc-linux-gnu)
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <
> http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

Sorry, Windows users, it looks like you'll have to wait until bash 4 gets
into CygWin or MinGW.

Best,
Dominik