Moksa/Nirvana

Fitzgerald, James James_Fitzgerald at BROWN.EDU
Wed Mar 24 09:32:26 UTC 2010

Dear Dr. Collins,

Thank you for mentioning your dissertation which sounds very
interesting.

I was not in any way suggesting there is not a rich history of the word
/muc in pre-Buddhist Sanskrit texts, only that I think the conceptual
complex involving the realization of a transcendently good resolution of
life in terms of escaping a systemic miserable condition, getting free
of the systemic bondage of the soul, etc., is a distinct set of
intellectual and rhetorical themes that is not initially organic with
conceptions of (re-)attaining some kind of original plenum or bliss. And
it is the complex of ideas and verbal formulations that I refer to as
exogenous--not any individual idea or word (which, as Dominic Goodall's
recent examples nicely show, are very labile).

All the best, Jim Fitzgerald