Positions available

hans bakker h.t.bakker at RUG.NL
Tue Mar 9 09:34:01 UTC 2010

Jonathan Silk wrote:
> dear Colleagues,
>
> Although the positions described in the project below are not in Indian
> Studies (I myself will take care of the Indian side of things in this
> project), they might be of interest to some colleagues and/or students whom
> you know. I would consider it a great favor if you would circulate the
> information on these openings as broadly as possible.
>
> With appreciation, Jonathan

Dear Jonathan,

I admire you, I am proud to be your colleague and co-editor, but I don't
envy you.  From ground-zero you have built up a very strong position in
Buddhist studies in this country. This is all to your credit and to your
credit alone.
With the Vici grant, I am sure, your situation within the faculty has
been strengthened greatly (certainly vis-a-vis Japanese and Chinese
studies, I would think),
and thanks to you (and the coming of Bisschop),  religious studies in
Leiden is outflanking my own department here. As to the latter, it has
proved
in the last 20 years that it is impossible to detach it form the
Judo-Christian tradition. The still latently present spirit of the
minister prevents a free cosmopolitan view, in which other religions are
not (silently) judged inferior. Sometimes I have the feeling that I have
cycled all my life against the wind. All the same, I do not envy you.
It is an enormous challenge that lies ahead of you. I have only one PhD
and one post-doc at the moment, but they already give me headaches.
But I am convinced that you will cope with it. Therefore I admire you.

Yours, as ever,
Hans

--

Prof Dr Hans T. Bakker