Arthasastra Commentary

Patrick Olivelle jpo at UTS.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
Tue Jul 20 14:11:36 UTC 2010

Dear All:

Two question to the śāstripariṣad regarding the commentary on the Arthaśāstra by Śaṅkarārya called "Jayamaṅgalā" and Bhikṣu Prabhāmati's called "Cāṇakyaṭīkā":

1) This was published in Sarasvatibhavana Granthamala, Sampurnanand Sanskrit University, Varanasi with three other commentaries. I have two parts of volume one, and two parts of volume two. However, the second part of volume one ends at the 12th chapter of the first book of the AS. The first part of the second volume begins with the first chapter of the second book. Theoretically, therefore, there should be a third part of the first volume. I have not been able to locate it anywhere. Do you all know whether that part containing chapter 13-21 of the first book was ever published?

2) Kangle (vol. 2, p. 16) says that this commentary was published by G. Harihara Sastri in the Journal of Oriental Research. I found the last part (2nd book of AS) in volumes 26 (1956-57). Do you know what year the first part(s) was published?

Thanks for any help.

Patrick Olivelle