Sanskrit terms for Sanskrit dialects

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya200498 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jul 14 17:05:16 UTC 2010

--- On Wed, 14/7/10, Dipak Bhattacharya <dbhattacharya200498 at yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Dipak Bhattacharya <dbhattacharya200498 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] Sanskrit terms for Sanskrit dialects
To: "Peter Scharf" <peter_scharf at BROWN.EDU>
Date: Wednesday, 14 July, 2010, 5:03 PM

As far as I know Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit was not recognized as a separate language by literary critics or grammarians. There is a convention of treating all irregular forms as apaśabda. The word ārṣa ‘(employment) by the sage’ is used to mean the employment of irregular words by high authorities/great poets that has been accepted by critics.  There is no term for regular ‘irregularities’ as in Buddhist Sanskrit.
Since  Daṇḍin regional distinction in literary style has been extensively treated by literary critics from the 7th -8th century onwards. The most prominent styles were Gauḍī and Vaidarbhī
Best
DB