(Xe)(La)TeX, (L)Edmac, and Velthuis query

Stefan Baums baums at UW.EDU
Sun Jul 4 13:43:32 UTC 2010

Dear Birgit,

I very much agree with you that that marking up primary texts and our
scholarly output in TEI would be worthwhile, for each of us
individually and for the field.

> If you know any scripting language that can deal with XML
> (perl, php, python), getting a TEI-compliant XML source text
> for a critical edition to LaTeX source code for printing with
> ledmac, or to HTML for online publication, is quite simple
> (time-consuming, but simple).

Another route that I have been dabbling with and plan to use more
seriously (for automated edition typesetting from our Gāndhārī
database) is via TeXML:

   http://getfo.org/texml/

This is a little preprocessor for TeX that allows one to express
(La)TeX files in XML syntax, turning the programming task into a
transformation from one form of XML (TEI) into another (TeXML), which
can be accomplished quite elegantly and efficiently using XSLT.

All best,
Stefan

--
Dr. Stefan Baums