Well, may be not so cool: Sanskrit script?

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya2004 at YAHOO.CO.IN
Tue Jan 12 12:26:59 UTC 2010

Dear Scholars,
As to the meaning of the term śāradā the following excerpt from Roth’s Der Atharvaveda in Kaschmir (13-14) may be of interest
“Herr T.H.thornton schreibt unter dem 23. Mai: …
…I have had an opportunity while at Srinagar of seeing a Ms.
written in the Sharda character, which appears to me to so closely
resemble the ordinary written Nagri that there would be no difficulty
to a Sanskrit Scholar interpreting it. … --I may mention that the Sharda
character is the character in which the Kashmir Sanskrit Manuscripts
are ordinarily written. The name is said to be derived from Sardah
a village in the vicinity of Chilas.”
Roth comments
“Gegen diese kaschmirische Etymologie besten einige Bedenken. Das Wort ist
Wohl arabischen Ursprungs und bedeutet Urkundenschrift…”
In his support Roth cites shurṯah, shurṯī and sharṯ meaning ‘writer’, ‘notary’ and ‘contract’.
Best wishes
DB