INDOLOGY FAQ. Re. Varanasi

george thompson gthomgt at COMCAST.NET
Thu Feb 18 19:55:25 UTC 2010

Well, I am glad, Richard, that my post gave you a good laugh.  It was
surely a little too vehement for such a small topic [pedagogical rather
than scholarly, after all], but my point, I think, still stands.

I think that John Clay's ambition was admirable, and I think that the
translations that have been produced as a result of his ambition have
generally been of high quality.  So I do not say that the Clay Sanskrit
Library is a failure.  But I do think that the decision to to create
this alternative transciption system, entirely artificial and surely
confusing to the new user, was a mistake.

As you yourself say, the readers interested in correct transcription and
pronunciation of the Sanskrit text were "only a very small minority."
Sanskritists [even beginning ones] will of course glance over to the
left hand page.  But since such readers were "only a small minority"
[and who therefore probably did not need the extra help] maybe it would
have been wiser to attend more thoughtfully to the needs of the vast
majority of your readership -- i.e. those readers who either would not
make the effort to glance to the left hand  page, or who, even if they
did, would be unsure of what they were looking for or seeing.  I
disagree that the typical uninformed non-Sanskritist [the majority of
your audience] would have an easy time with the diacritical formating of
the Clay Sanskrit Library, because the left-hand page operates with one
system, whereas the right hand page operates with another one.

Honestly, I think that I know the majority of your audience better than
you do.

Cheers!

George