INDOLOGY FAQ. Re. Varanasi

Frances Pritchett fp7 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Wed Feb 17 15:31:11 UTC 2010

And then there was the apparently universal habit among news
commentators of speaking of "Ra-ZHeev" Gandhi. My theory is that the zh
for j was borrowed from French ("jeune"), and sounded nice and exotic,
while plain old j didn't have that same satisfying ring.

As for amriikaa , if you imagine yourself as working from the look only,
not the sound, then it could happen, since "e" is often used by casual
transliterators for short a ("sunder," "Inder"). And transliterators
often work from the look; thus Urdu discussions of the thought of
"Go-ii-thii".

This is a very enjoyable topic, it gives us all a chance to vent...

Fran