Southern pronunciations ? (Re: INDOLOGY FAQ

victor davella vbd203 at GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 15 17:55:44 UTC 2010

Note the Telugu wikipedia page on కాశీ (వారాణసి).  Although I can't make out
everything it says, there is a discussion about the alternate name వారణాసి
from "వరుణ", "ఆస్సి."   Brown only gives వారణాసి as కాశీ పట్టణము and
the analysis *vāraṇ-āsi*.  He says nothing of the spelling వారాణసి which may
have been introduced into Telugu recently and in imitation of the northern
name.  In this case there doesn't seem to be a mispronunciation but the
correct pronunciation of a different name which is perhaps also the case for
the English pronunciation

Victor D'Avella

PhD Candidate
University of Chicago