Southern pronunciations ? (Re: INDOLOGY FAQ

Paul Kiparsky kiparsky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Mon Feb 15 19:37:14 UTC 2010

In Europe, the names used abroad tend to be older, rather than new
and altered!  Obviously Cologne and Monaco are is closer to the
original than Köln and Munchen, etc.  More interestingly, the English
use the original Celtic name Ratisbon for German Regensburg, which
comes from the later Roman name Castra Regina.  And 's-Hertogenbosch
may be a translation of Bois-le-Duc and not the other way round (for
the duke in question was presumably French-speaking).  I'd be
surprised if there aren't such cases in India too.

PK