Abhidharmakosha in e-format

Paul G. Hackett ph2046 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Thu Feb 4 11:55:23 UTC 2010

At 12:38 AM -0500 2/4/10, Dan Lusthaus wrote:
>>It should be a simple matter to write a short macro or Perl program
>>to extract just the Sanskrit, if desired.
>
>If anyone feels adventurous, and is willing to share the results,
>please let the rest of us know!

I suspected that might be your response!  Sure.  I need this data for
my own purposes, so I'll be happy to do it and re-distribute it.  It
would be good to pass it on to GRETIL as well, although it would be
nice to determine which source they used for the Sanskrit (Patna
1967, Varanasi 1970, their own Skt. mss., etc.) to properly document
the file.  If anyone can locate that information on the site, please
pass that on.

At 1:58 AM -0500 2/4/10, Dan Lusthaus wrote:
>Incidentally, there is a complete English translation of the AKB by
>Leo Pruden, unfortunately taken from Vallee Poussin's French version
>rather than the original Sanskrit or Chinese texts (and Pruden
>mistranslated the French at times).

There is a complete English translation done from the Sanskrit (with
critical notes referencing the Tibetan) done by Geshe Lobsang
Tharchin and Geshe Jampal Thardo with Art Engle and Robert Clark
under the auspices of the American Institute of Buddhist Studies back
in the 1970s/80s.  It is only now being edited for publication and
should come out in the next couple of years as part of the ongoing
Tengyur Translation Project at Columbia University.

best,

Paul