Abhidharmakoshabhashya in e-format

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Feb 4 06:58:51 UTC 2010

Dear Victoria,

utf-8 is the standard unicode encoding designed to handle all languages and
scripts. The Beijing webpages (and all the others mentioned) are already
using utf-8 to encode the romanized Sanskrit (and Chinese). When a webpage
is properly set up, it embeds hidden instructions to tell the browser which
language-set to use. The Beijing webpages lack that setting, so one has to
do it manually oneself when accessing the webpage.

Depending on which browser you use, you can alter the encoding that the
browser uses to read/decode a webpage.

If, for instance, you are using Firefox as your browser, then under the
"View" menu, select "character encoding" which will display a list of
language types and character sets. Simply choose "UNICODE (utf-8)" and the
page will reload with the Sanskrit and Chinese readable. The procedure
varies slightly with different browsers, but that's the basic idea.

Incidentally, there is a complete English translation of the AKB by Leo
Pruden, unfortunately taken from Vallee Poussin's French version rather than
the original Sanskrit or Chinese texts (and Pruden mistranslated the French
at times).

http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=13420&MATCH=2

Still usable, but a better, more critical translation would be nice.

best,
Dan