Severe Hindi austerities in Kali Yuga?

Luis Gonzalez-Reimann reimann at BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Dec 15 21:17:37 UTC 2010

I would add that the list of dharmas associated with the yugas in
Manusmr̥ti 1.85-86 also appears in the Mahābhārata (12.224.26-27, in the
critical edition). The main point of these assignations seems to be to
place yajña (Vedic sacrifice) in a bygone yuga, therefore justifying its
loss of importance and allowing for other practices to be proclaimed as
superior.

Different traditions would then claim that their practices are foremost
in the Kali Yuga. Although this is especially true of bhakti traditions
  -as seen in Bengali Vaiṣṇavism's assertion that chanting the name of
Kr̥ṣṇa is the only way to attain liberation in Kali- others also used
this procedure.

Thus, claiming that tapas (austerity) does not belong in Kali can be a
way of belittling it in favor of another practice, such as bhakti. This,
however, is not the case in the Rāmāyaṇa passage, as explained by Bob
Goldman, where the varṇas are the main concern.

Luis González-Reimann

_____