Multilingual Inscriptions

Richard Salomon rsalomon at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Fri Apr 30 18:31:28 UTC 2010

K.R. Norman has a very interesting and relevant study of the translation
process underlying the Greek versions of Asokan inscriptions: JRAS 1972:
111-118.

Rich Salomon

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Friedlander" <peterfriedlander at YAHOO.COM.AU>
To: <INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk>
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2010 6:44 AM
Subject: Multilingual Inscriptions

Dear Colleagues,

I am working on a piece about translation in India pre-1800 and wonder if
anybody has written on inscriptions which appear in more than one language.
I am thinking of things like the way that Ashokan inscriptions have the same
messages localised to the speech of different locations. Are there any
examples from more recently of rulers issuing edicts in several scripts and
languages?

thanks

Peter

---------------------------
Peter Gerard
FRIEDLANDER (Dr) ::
Senior Lecturer,
Centre for Language Studies and South Asian Studies Programme :: Faculty of
Arts
& Social Sciences :: National University of Singapore :: AS4 9 Arts Link,
#02-01 :: Singapore 117570 :: 65-6516 2468 (DID) :: 65-6777 7736 (Fax) ::
clspgf at nus.edu.sg (E) :: www.nus.edu.sg (W) ::
http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/cls/ (CLS
Website) :: Company Registration No:
200604346E