Tara iconography

James Hartzell james.hartzell at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 29 18:25:35 UTC 2010

HI Lars,

The following should be helpful for Buddhist iconography, including
for Buddhist tantric iconography (and what is shared with Hindus):

Getty, Alice (1928), The Gods of Northern Buddhism. Their History and
Iconography, first edition 1914, second edition 1928, Oxford,
Clarendon Press; reprinted (unabridged replication), New York, Dover
Publications, Inc., 1988.

De Mallmann, Marie-Thérèse (1963), Les Enseignements Iconographiques
de L'Agni Purana. Paris, Presses Universitaires de France, 1963.

De Mallmann, Marie-Thérèse (1968), "Hindu Deities in Tantric
Buddhism," translated by Simon Watson Taylor, Zentralasiatische
Studien 2, Bonn, Seminar fur Sprach- und Kultur-Wissenschaft
Zentralasiens der Universitat, 1968, pp. 41-54.

De Mallmann, Marie-Theérèse (1975) (1986), Introduction à
l'Iconographie du Tantrisme Bouddhique. dessins de Muriel Thiriet,
Paris, Centre Nationale de la Recherche Scientifique, 1975,
Biblioteque du Centre de Recherches sur l'Asie Central et la Haute
Asie, vol. 1. (Reprinted essentially as a second edition, though not
noted as such, in 1986, Paris, Librarie d'Amérique et d'Orient).

Cheers
James Hartzell