AW: stirrup in Sanskrit

Axel Michaels axel.michaels at YAHOO.DE
Mon Apr 26 07:09:12 UTC 2010

Thanks a lot, Frits, but I personally don't use the horse for riding, only the bike.
 Axel

________________________________
Von: FRITS STAAL <fritsstaal at BERKELEY.EDU>
An: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Gesendet: Sonntag, den 25. April 2010, 17:35:07 Uhr
Betreff: Re: stirrup in Sanskrit

Hi Axel c.s.,

Please look at M. Sparreboom, Chariots in the Veda, Leiden: Brill, 1985,
especially pp. 89-90 and the indices. You will find a lot of references
and discussion, and other publications quoted or mentioned.

good luck and don't fall off your horse without or even with them,

Frits

> Does anybody know the Sanskrit or any Prakrit term for "stirrup" (the
> thing for climbing horses)? In Hindi, I was told, it is rakaab.
> Axel Michaels

Frits Staal

http://philosophy.berkeley.edu/staal