a question on manuscript traditions

Dominic Goodall dominic.goodall at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 18 04:30:21 UTC 2010

>> Was it a practice in ancient India
>> to put some sort of a "divine symbol" on every page of a manuscript?

I find one 12th-century example of this sort of practice. So if the
C12th qualifies as "ancient", then the answer is "Yes, but the
practice appears not to have been very common."

Here are some notes from what I have to hand.

Quite a few nineteenth- and twentieth-century Nepalese MSS on paper,
both religious and non-religious, also have raama or raama.h written
on the bottom right-hand margin of each verso, e.g.
NGMPP B 304/8, NGMPP A 136/10 and NGMPP A366/4, all 3 Devanaagarii MS
of the Kaavyaala"nkaarasuutrav.rtti; NGMPP A 182/2; a Devanaagarii MS
of a "Saiva prati.s.thaatantra called the Mohacuu.dottara; NGMPP A
375/7, a Devanaagarii MS of the Vyaakhyaasudhaa (a commentary on the
Kumaarasambhava).

A few Maithilii- and Newari-script MSS have "srii (sometimes with
other ornaments) in the side margins of each verso: e.g. NGMPP A
375/3, a Newari-script MS of the Vyaakhyaasudhaa; NGMPP A 21/25, a
palm-leaf Maithili-script MS of the Kaavyaala"nkaarasuutrav.rtti;
NGMPP M 172/4, a paper Maithili-script MS of a commentary on the
Raghuva.m"sa, which has also has "sriikaalikaayai nama.h at the top
left of each verso.

I don't think I have seen this sort of practice being followed in
Grantha-script MSS from the South and I find no instance at the
moment.  (There, I am used to seeing only the odd folio having hari.h
om written in a left-hand margin, on the side on which a new text
happens to start.)

It seems to be relatively uncommon in "Saaradaa MS too, but the codex
unicus of the Tattvatrayanir.naviv.rti of Raamaka.n.tha has "srii in
the bottom left of each verso (Lucknow, Akhila Bharatiya Sanskrit
Parishad, Accession No. 2390), and quite a number of folios of a MS of
the same author's Mata"ngav.rtti have o.m (or o.m nama.h) written in
the centre at the top of the recto (BORI, Pune, 232, 235, 236 of
1883--84).

Even in times and places where this sort of practice was common, I
have the impression that there are rather more MSS that do not have
auspicious words or symbols in at least one margin of every folio than
MSS that do.

The oldest dated MS that I know of which follows such a practice is a
proto-Newari-script MS transmitting the Praaya"scittasamuccaya (a
"Saiva compendium of chapters from tantric works on expiation by a
certain H.rdaya"siva).   That MS (Cambridge Add 2833) has "srii in the
left hand margin on the reverse of every folio, just above the
foliation.  It is dated Samvat 278 (= 1157/8 AD).

I am not aware of other MSS of comparably early date which have
auspicious words or symbols on every folio.

Dominic Goodall