a question on manuscript traditions

rajam rajam at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun Apr 18 16:13:30 UTC 2010

Thanks for the detailed information! It is very helpful So, it does
look like there was a practice to write a sacred term in manuscripts,
and it existed prior to the 16-th century when Fr. Henriques prepared
his grammar of Tamil in Portuguese. Apparently, young men were
trained in Goa to write in local scripts. The manuscript I'm studying
seems to contain at least two different handwritings (although one
dominates).

Interestingly, in some families in the South, "hari.h om" is the very
first set of words a child is guided to write on rice grains at the
time of starting formal education. But then this practice is not
universal and is followed at home at a private religious ceremony.

Regards,
Rajam