Utopia / Dystopia

Luis Gonzalez-Reimann reimann at BERKELEY.EDU
Tue Apr 13 21:44:30 UTC 2010

Mary,

For traditional materials you should look at the theory of the yugas. A
good rendering of descriptions of the yugas (with many refs. to primary
texts) is:

von Stietencron, Heinrich. 1986. Calculating Religious Decay: The
Kaliyuga in India, in von Stietencron, Heinrich, /Hindu Myth, Hindu
History: Religion, Art, and Politics/. New Delhi: Permanent Black, 31-49.

My book, /The Mahabharata and the Yugas/ (Peter Lang, 2002), translates
some sections from the /Mahabharata/ and discusses the idea of the Kali
Yuga , the worst age.

Then there is the Tibetan Shambhala, which might interest you. For that,
you can start with:

/The Way to Shambhala: a Search for the Mythical Kingdom Beyond the
Himalayas/. Edwin Bernbaum, 2001.

Luis González-Reimann
_____