yugas and colours

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya2004 at YAHOO.CO.IN
Sat Oct 31 17:11:27 UTC 2009

It is all right that the century belongs to the CE. Still a southern claim to the origin of the idea is not, perhaps, reduced by that. I checked the Yugapurāṇa (edMitchiner, AS,Calcutta1986 BI 312).but did not find any reference to the colour of the yugas. That means the absence of the idea in the North till the 5th Cent.CE (YP so dated/Mitchiner). The extant Bhāgavata could not have been redacted in the North. Its flowery classical kāvya style was a dead thing in the North during the time when it is supposed to have been redacted from a lost older Bhāgavata. The South can make a strong claim.
Best
DB

________________________________
From: George Hart <glhart at BERKELEY.EDU>
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Sent: Sat, 31 October, 2009 9:23:40 PM
Subject: Re: yugas and colours

Of course it's CE, not BCE.  None of the Tamil works can be dated to BCE -- though we do have inscriptions from the first couple centuries BCE.

The Tamil is

paaz ena kaal ena paaku ena onRu ena pari.3-77
iraNTu ena muunRu ena naanku ena aintu ena pari.3-78
aaRu ena eezu ena eTTu ena toNTu ena pari.3-79
naalvakai uuzi eN naviRRum ciRappinai pari.3-80
ce kaN kaari karu kaN veLLai pari.3-81
pon kaN paccai pai kaN maaal pari.3-82

(Malten's transcription)

"Black" is from kaari, ultimately from karu, the standard word for "black."  "Dark" is maal, which can mean "blackness" or "greatness," "great man," "Visnu."  "Dark one with green eyes" could also mean "Green-eyed Visnu!" -- which might make more sense, as "black" has already been used.  The word for "green" can also mean "yellow."

George Hart

      Try the new Yahoo! India Homepage. Click here. http://in.yahoo.com/trynew