Bhagavata-Purana

Tracy Coleman tcoleman at COLORADOCOLLEGE.EDU
Tue Oct 20 21:58:24 UTC 2009

Indologists--

This is a delayed response to the email below from Arlo Griffiths
regarding a "critical edition" of the Bhagavata Purana.  I work on the
Bhagavata, but this recent edition was news to me, I must admit.  Can any
of you provide an assessment of this edition, however briefly?
Specifically, is it a "critical edition," and if so, in what sense (which
and how many sources etc.)?  Is it being received as *the* critical
edition, like the Critical Edition of the MBh (leaving aside the fact that
not all of you accept the latter)?  How much does this new edition differ
from other editions that scholars have recently used as a standard, such
as J.L. Shastri's with Sridhara's commentary (Motilal 1983)?

Thanks so much for any further info, which will help me at least until I
can get said new edition.

Tracy Coleman
The Colorado College

-----Original Message-----
From: Indology on behalf of Arlo Griffiths
Sent: Thu 7/30/2009 6:11 PM
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Bhagavata-Purana

There is a relatively recent critical edition published from Adhmedabad.
My copy is in storage but this seems to be it (exported and slightly
expanded from worldcat):
SASTRI, H. G., SHELAT, B. K., & SASTRI, K. K. (1996-2002).Sribhagavatam:
Srimad Bhagavata-mahapura?am : samik?ita avr?tti. Ahamadabada, Bho. Je.
Adhyayana-Sa?sodhana Vidyabhavana.

Best wishes from Medan,
Arlo Griffiths