Ageusia

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.PLUS.COM
Fri May 29 19:41:17 UTC 2009

Ashok Aklujkar wrote:

> It would be better to share the passage with your potential helpers.

Sorry to have been unintentionally a bit cryptic. Actually, with a bit more
thought, I think I have solved the problem myself.  The term I was looking
for may have been "śuṣka" or perhaps "saṃśuṣka", used as a pun in the
context, though "dagdha" is also a possibilty.  Needless to say, the pun has
got lost in translation.  The problem was that I was not fully aware that
"śuṣka" has other secondary meanings, especially as I was just looking at
the more common (in Buddist texts) "viśuṣka".
The passage occurs in the Mahāyana Mahāparinirvāṇa-sūtra, with glosses
bracketed off thus < ... >:

        gsol pa | sems can <ma rungs pa 'jigs su rung ba> | <lce dang | rkan
dang | lkog ma> tshig pa rnams ci las 'gyur lags ||

        bka' stsal pa | gzhi gsum rtag pa mi shes pa gang yin pa de dag ni
sems can <ma rungs pa 'jigs su rung ba> | <lce dang | rkan dang | lkog ma>
tshig par 'gyur ro || dper na mi <dang dung 'gro'i> lce tshig pa rnams kyis
ro drug ste | mngar ba dang | skyur ba dang | lan tshwa'i ro dang | tsha ba
dang | kha ba dang | bska ba rnams za ba na ro'i bye brag mi phyed pa de
bzhin du sems can mi shes pa | lce dang | rkan dang | lkog ma tshig pa <ma
rungs pa 'jigs su rung ba> | gzhi gsum rtag par mi shes pa gang yin pa de
dag ni | <lce dang | rkan dang | lkog ma> tshig pa zhes bya'o ||

        "How come there are <harsh, terrifying> beings who are/have parched
<tongues, palates and throats> ?"

        "Those who do not know the Three Bases [= Three Jewels] are
permanent become <villainous, terrifying> beings <whose tongues, palates and
throat> are burnt/parched. For example, humans <and animals> who tongues are
burnt/parched are unable to distinguish the differences between the six
tastes when they eat anything sweet, sour, salty, bitter, pungent or
astringent. Similarly, ignorant beings <who are villainous and terrifying>,
whose tongues <palates and throats> are burnt/parched, who do not know that
the three grounds are permanent, are said to be/have "śuṣka" < tongues,
palates and throats>.

This is not the place to describe in detail the many peculiarities of the
Tibetan version of the Mahāyana Mahāparinirvāṇa-sūtra, but reading this
against the two Chinese versions, it is now clear to me that the Tibetan
text has incorporated two glosses into the body of the text ~ which is
typical for this text which had been heavily annotated several times during
its transmission. Originally, I assume the text would have just read "How
come there are people who are śuṣka ?" ~ in the primary sense of
"frightening, harsh" and punning secondarily as "with parched /burnt mouths"
(as with pretas).  First, the gloss of "tongue, plate and throat" was added
in several places at an early stage and so is common to the Chinese and the
Tibetan versions, and later the gloss "ma rungs pa 'jigs su rung ba" (harsh,
frightening) was also added ~ but only in the Tibetan ms lineage. I would
also imagine that some of the other connotations of "śuṣka", if that was the
word used, are also implied here well such as "vain, useless".

As a footnote to this, if they have bothered to read this far, I wonder if
anybody (Jonathan, Matthew ?) has come across the expression "gzhi gsum" for
the tri-ratna ? This is used consistedly by preference throughout the
Mahāparinirvāṇa-sūtra>. Maybe I haven't read attentively / widely enough (I
do try, though), but I have never seen this term used in any other Tibetan
translations of Indic texts. It would be nice to know what the underlying
Skt word here would have been.

Best wishes,

Stephen Hodge