Sardulavikridita metrics

Paul Kiparsky kiparsky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Sun May 17 14:28:10 UTC 2009

Ictus on syllables 3, 6, 8, 12, 14, 17, 19 --- you can hear a brief
example of the traditional way it is recited at http://
pantheon.yale.edu/~asd49/sound/

For the theory, see Ashwini Deo, The metrical organization of
classical Sanskrit verse, Journal of Linguistics 43.63-114 (2007).
This is really essential reading for anyone interested in Sanskrit
metrics.

On Deo's analysis, Śārdūlavikrīḍita is one of the rhythmically
most complex and interesting meters (p. 109).  Like some other
popular meters, such as Mandākrāntā, it has seven feet that shift
from tetramoraic to pentamoraic at the caesura, with the final foot
catalectic, in addition (unlike Mandākrāntā) also anacrusis in the
first foot.

Paul Kiparsky