amrita

George Thompson gthomgt at COMCAST.NET
Sat May 16 11:26:52 UTC 2009

Dear List,

The Thieme article is found in his *Studien zur indogermanischen
Wortkunde und Religionsgeschichte* [Berichte ueber die Verhandlkungen
der Saechsischen Akad. d. Wissenschaften zu Leipzig. Phil.-Hist. Klasse,
Band 98, Heft 5] 1952.  It is reprinted in the Weg d. Forschung series
Band CLXIX 1970 [Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft].  The article does
not deny that amrta can mean 'immortal.'  It argues that it can also
mean 'having, giving life' ['lebendig, Lebenskraft spendend'], citing
many Vedic passages.

I hope this helps.

George Thompson