Unusual word - help needed

Tieken, H.J.H. H.J.H.Tieken at HUM.LEIDENUNIV.NL
Fri May 8 10:57:54 UTC 2009

It is the genitive plural fem. of the active perfect participle of aa-sthaa-: aatasthivas/aatasthu.s
Herman Tieken

-----Original Message-----
From: Indology [mailto:INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk] On Behalf Of venetia ansell
Sent: vrijdag 8 mei 2009 12:39
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Subject: Unusual word - help needed

Can anyone help me with the form of ātasthuṣīṇām from Vedanta Deshika's Hamsasandesham 1.20?  The verse and translation are below and I've added the glosses that two commentaries give:

ikṣu-cchāye kisalaya-mayaṃ talpam ātasthuṣīṇāṃ

saṃlāpais tair mudita-manasāṃ śāli-saṃrakṣikāṇām |

karṇāṭ’-āndhra-vyatikara-vaśāt karbure gīti-bhede muhyantīnāṃ madana-kaluṣaṃ maugdhyam āsvādayethāḥ

*Relish the simplicity, stirred up by love, of the girls who guard the rice.
They revel at heart in all sorts of gossip as they sit in the shade of the sugarcane using sprouting shoots as seats, forgetting themselves entirely in the strangely blended songs formed from a mix of the **Karṇāṭak** and **
Āndhra** tongues.*

One commentary glosses 'āśritānāṃ' and another 'āsthitavatīnām'.

Thank you very much,

Venetia Ansell