Macaulay

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Sat Mar 21 12:38:52 UTC 2009

I am glad Dominic has presented this alternative bit of Macaulayian
bombast.  Macaulay himself is more complicated than his repellent and
much-cited Minute would suggest.

But it is in any case so reductionist and essentializing to present
Macaulay as the representative voice of Anglophone attitudes to India (or
Hegel for the German case) that I think the general point is not well
supported by this argument.

However, of course I'm all with Magnone for cultural diversity and the
rich perspectivism inherent in different languages communities.

Best
Dominik (with a -k :-)

--
Dr Dominik Wujastyk