Translations into Sanskrit

Eugen Ciurtin e.ciurtin at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 19 18:54:32 UTC 2009

Neriosangh, a Gujarati Parsi *dastur*, translated the Avestan Yasna into
Sanskrit
probably in the 15th c. This translation (discovered by Anquetil Dupperon
during his stay in India) was of crucial help for Eugène Burnouf (1801-1852)
in his comparative studies of the Avesta, mainly in *Commentaire sur le
Yaçna*, Paris, 1833ff., continued in 1861 by Friedrich Spiegel
in*Neriosengh’s Sanskrit-Übersetzung des Yaçna
*.

http://books.google.com/books?id=ULgOAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA193&dq=neriosengh+sanskrit&lr=&ei=1YvCSfH1K5HaMbqWvOwN&hl=ro

There are other early modern Sanskrit translations of Avestic or Pahlavi
Zoroastrian works (e.g. parts of the *Vendidad*, *Arda Viraz*, etc.).

With best wishes,

Eugen Ciurtin

--
Dr E. Ciurtin
Secretary of the Romanian Association for the History of Religions

Publications Officer of the European Association for the Study of Religions
www.easr.de

Secretary of the Scientific Council
Institute for the History of Religions, Romanian Academy
Calea 13 Septembrie no. 13 sect. 5, Bucharest 050711
Phone: 00 40 733 951 953
www.ihr-acad.ro