Language barriers --- financial barriers

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Fri Mar 6 08:13:46 UTC 2009

> Why
> for instance, does the set of Oskar von Hinüber's "Kleine Schriften" that was
> recently announced cost 178 Euros? Do the publishers take such great care
> with editing, layout and design as to justify such a price? (The technology
> required to typeset books in Asian languages can no longer justify such
> prices.) And if not: Why do authors decide to publish with publishers when
> they know exorbitant prices will be charged for their books? Is it because
> the publication with a major established publisher is believed to make more
> impact than a cheaper publication with one that is lesser known? Is it the
> publisher's reputation that people hope will also reflect on the reputation
> of their books? Is it the expected professionality of distribution, is it a
> hope for fame? Is it just habit, a lack of knowledge that other possibilities
> might exist?

I have it from senior figures in the publishing business that the cost of
typesetting and production is a small part of a publisher's costs with
respect to the overall budget of publishing a book.  Marketing, storage,
distribution, and advertising form the major expenses.  Hence, on-demand
printing is being explored as a way of reducing warehousing costs, for
example.

Publication with a major established publisher certainly does make a
difference to reception and judgement.  While we all prefer the idea of a
pure-knowledge approach, that we will read and value something important
and well-written wherever it was published (or in whatever language), the
indisputable fact remains that a high-profile press such as Princeton,
Chicago, Berkeley, Cambridge or OUP will still carry weight.  The
production values are high, and people assume there has been a diligent
selection and editing process preceding publication.  This is especially
true for people who are not themselves in the research field, but often
have to make judgements that affect jobs, promotion, etc.  These high-cost
publishers have Brand Presence in the market, and that is where the money
goes, at least partly.  Brand awareness is an extremely serious matter in
the world of business, and it costs to create it and to maintain it.

And publishing companies have to provide profits that satisfy their
shareholders.

As Birgit says, we are living through a huge change, and Open Access
journal publishing is going to affect us all directly.  It will take some
years for all this to settle down into a new model of scholarly
production.

Bear in mind that although OA is great for the reader, it means the author
bears the cost of publication.  To have an OA article in a Springer
journal costs €2000 at the moment.  To have an OA article in the Lancet is
£400 per page.  PER PAGE!  These prices are typical of the big houses,
Springer, Elsevier, etc.  But not all journals are this expensive, and it
does seem possible to run an OA journal publishing business on fees of
about $400-$500 per article.  Nevertheless, what about academic authors
who do not have institutional budgets behind them to support their
publishing?

For scholars in developing economies, OA provides better read-access, but
raises new economic barriers to getting work published.

There are some business models that seek to solve this issue, but they
have not been implemented by any publisher I know.

Best,
Dominik