A pedantic correction (but it's still a good story)

Ashok Aklujkar ashok.aklujkar at UBC.CA
Fri Mar 6 06:45:08 UTC 2009

I took two courses with Roman Jacobson. The remark I heard about him in both
the classes was: "He speaks English in eighteen different languages."

The range of knowledge behind the thick Russian accent and the French
culture of speaking ("Permit me to say/add/mention that ..."), however, was
amazing. He would easily move from linguistics to poetics and would mention
even Ananda-vardhana with a good grasp of the dhvani theory.

Ashok Aklujkar