MithilAyAM tu daghdhAyAm

Ashok Aklujkar ashok.aklujkar at UBC.CA
Fri Mar 6 02:25:54 UTC 2009

The association of the remark with Janaka and Mithilaa is rather widespread.
Mithilaa is known primarily as an ideal city, not as the richest city (and
Janaka as a philosopher king). The reference to burning is hypothetical
('even if Mithilaa is ablaze, even if Mithilaa were to burn ...'). Note the
present tense in the reading dahyati.