Stirrups at Sanchi (or Wikipedia strikes again)

John C. Huntington huntington.2 at OSU.EDU
Sun Jun 28 20:11:25 UTC 2009

Dear Alexandra and any other interested list members,

As a result of George Hart's note about the Wikipedia citation of
stirrups at Sanchi I examined all of our recent (2007) high resolution
digital images of the complete sculptural remains at Sanchi. In these
images, we are able to examine every single figure in each of the
reliefs at a nearly full-screen (2560 x1600 pixels) image. Horse
riders are quite commonly depicted on both the earlier Sanchi Stupa 2
vedika (ca. 120-100 BCE) and on the toranas of Stupa 1 (ca. 25 BCE).
In no case could I identify a rider using stirrups.  However, in one
or two images on the Stupa 2 vedika, the chinch strap that holds the
saddle blanked in place could possibly be confused with a stirrup
strap by some one ignorant of horse tack. However these are sculptural
anomalies and, as once serious horseman, I can assure you that they
are not supporting stirrups in any fashion.

Simply stated, after a detailed examination of the evidence there are
no stirrups depicted at Sanchi.

John

John C. Huntington, Professor
(Buddhist Art and Methodologies)