Manuscript glosses

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.PLUS.COM
Wed Jun 3 00:13:51 UTC 2009

Dear Ashok,

> The avacuur.ni/.nii type seems to have been more common among the Jains
> and
> in the central-western part of India (Gujarat-Rajasthan area).

Thanks for your helpful comments.  The areas you mention are possibly
significant for me, as is your mention of the Jains.  I wonder how
conservative the Jain scribal traditions would have been.   Since there were
several areas, such as Gujarat, in early medieval India where the Buddhists
and the Jains rubbed shoulders, I wonder if they also shared similar mss
scribal mannerisms at one time.  The problem for me, of course, is that
almost all mss remains available are far too late for the period I am
concerned with ~ roughly 200-350 CE or are neat monastic library exemplars,
as I mention in my reply to Michael.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge