Manuscript glosses

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.PLUS.COM
Wed Jun 3 00:06:15 UTC 2009

Dear Michael,

Of cours, I am aware of the virtually universal custon of writing
corrections in the margins ~ indeed, I have worked with mss myself which
have these.

However, what I am translated versions of a text, I can isolate short
phrases or single words that have been accidently incorporated int the body
text at a later date by scribes who did not understand the significance of
what they saw.

To recap, some of the incorporated words were presumably rubics for
sub-headings or topics of interest in the midst of otherwise unbroken
swathes of text.  These I assume from their current positioning to have been
written supra-linearly as one would expect, at the beginning of the section
of interest. Then there are glosses, usually for disambiguation, which may
have been variously supra- or sub-linear.  Finally, there are glosses/ short
comments  which judging from their current positions could only have been
sub-linear as they are, as I mentioned, at some remove from their related
textual material.

Any corrections that were marked marginally (lef / right / top / bottom)
have presumably been correctly utilized and so are undetectable.

What I think one can see here are manuscripts that were used intensively by
their owners and marked-up for their convenience in various ways at
different stages of development.  This in itself has some relevence to ideas
about the manner in which Mahayana texts (my area) especially were
circulated and used, as aspects of this is crucial to an understanding of
the development of Mahayana in its early days.  Generally, the thinking
seems to be that mss fragments found in Central Asia (and perhaps the
Gandhari items) were worn-out or otherwise discarded library copies no
longer needed that were respectfully deposited out of harm's way.  These all
seem to be overall free of annotations, interlinear or otherwise, though one
does encounter some marginal corrections ~ though I am aware of what is
found in the published Gandhari mss.  I imagine that ancient librarians may
not have changed much in some of their attitudes over the centuries, and one
thing that no librarian likes is people writing their own comments in books.
So the mss ancestors of the translated texts I am looking at are more likely
to have been privately owned copies, for at least some of their
transmissional history.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge