The Film Adi Shankaracharya

Veeranarayana Pandurangi veerankp at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 1 18:38:14 UTC 2009

it is true that these films created some hype at the beginning. but it was
very shortlived. when Madhvacharya was released sometimes in late 80s I was
quite young and it had several screeings but then I got no second
opportunity to see it till the date. since it was in sanskrit people felt
uneasy to understand. moreover coming from  modernist like GV Iyer many
orthodox people frowned upon such films also. it did not quite fall on the
so called traditionalists.
But I think GV Iyer, going by his talks I heard personally, was not very
much interested  to get the cultural contexts
right.....Nor he was getting to do some kind of revivalism. but do something
new in the cinematography. hence there is no much context for the flip side
of his sanskrit films. it is only because of his love for films he made
these things. and he wanted do make them artistically as fas as possible.
otherwise he could have made them in regional language and hit the box
office.

--
Veeranarayana N.K. Pandurangi
Head, Dept of Darshanas,